Author Topic: How do I embed someone else's video on my page?  (Read 3386 times)

Brian Katzung

• Administrator
  • This is your life. Do what you love.
    • View Profile
    • BusRes.com Business Resources
How do I embed someone else's video on my page?
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:37:26 »
First, make sure you have permission from the owner to do so!

The procedure for embedding a video can vary depending on the tools you are using, but most tools will allow you to embed an HTML "<iframe>" tag. The general syntax for the HTML is:

<iframe src="(URL)" width="(WIDTH)" height="(HEIGHT)"></iframe>

where "(URL)" is where you put the URL (link) to the video content, "(WIDTH)" is where you enter the desired width (in pixels), and "(HEIGHT)" is where you put the desired height (in pixels).

To find the URL (or the full "<iframe>" tag) to embed, look at the HTML source code for the page containing the video you wish to embed in your own page. (Check your browser documentation for how to view the page source.)

If the embedded video is on Wistia, there will usually be HTML code something like this:

<iframe src="//fast.wistia.net/embed/iframe/(VIDEO_ID)" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" class="wistia_embed" name="wistia_embed" allowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" oallowfullscreen="" msallowfullscreen="" width="840" height="475"></iframe>

If the embedded video is on YouTube, there will usually be HTML code something like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/(VIDEO_ID)?autoplay=1&amp;wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0&amp;showinfo=0&amp;modestbranding=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Occasionally the "<iframe>" will be constructed by other code in the page HTML and won't appear directly. If you can determine the VIDEO_ID, you can generally still use the "<iframe>" syntax in your own page, substituting the appropriate VIDEO_ID.

To search the page source for "wistia" and/or "youtube" (or anything else, for that matter), most browsers use Ctrl-F (on Windows) or Command-F (on Mac). Your browser documentation should have more details.

anything